The benefits of time spent in the fresh air are clear: freedom, space to roam, a boost of vitamin D and a happy, tired child by the end of the day. There is a vast selection of places to choose from for an outdoor excursion, including the perennially popular wildlife parks and zoos, some of which allow your child to get up close and personal with the animals. If you are looking for something physically challenging, there are adrenaline-filled tree-top adventures on offer, or if you are in the mood for a picnic, explore the list of playgrounds and parks which includes some lesser-known hidden gems. In addition, look out for lidos, watersports, tree-top high ropes, mud painting, strawberry picking, ghost tours, imaginative birthday venues and beach play areas (always a winner in our house).
Filter By Type
Sign up to our mailing list
- Child friendly tearoom with free towpath or woodland nature trails.
- Free Treasure Hunt, Bat Hunt & Narrowboat Name Search for ages 4+.
- Open every day 10am–5pm.
- Available as a party venue with catering.
- Can arrange party entertainment: canoes/kayaks, waterzorbs, and bouncy castles.
Canal Yard, Canal Road, Thrupp, Kidlington, Oxfordshire, OX5 1JZ
- Historically informative costumed guide of Oxford. (Children must be 4+ years).
- Illustrated with props and illusions.
- Walking tour departs at 6:30pm every Friday and Saturday.
- Tours last approximately 1 hour 45 minutes. (from Oxford Castle Unlocked).
- Private bookings available.
Oxford Castle Gift Shop, 44 - 46 New Road, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1 1AY
- 18th century house and pleasure gardens.
- Trails for all the family, including the 'Woodland Life' walk.
- Children can try building a den, tree climbing and bird watching.
- Pond dipping and bug hunting.
- Course fishing is permitted 25th March to 30th September.
Faringdon, Oxfordshire, SN7 8BU
- National Trust Jacobean country house and garden for all the family to visit.
- Family activity packs and trails for house and garden.
- Search for the 'Secret Room' and then picnic in the garden.
- Hip-carrying infant seats available.
- Braille guide and induction loop available - ask at reception.
Chastleton, Near Moreton-in-Marsh, Oxfordshire, GL56 0SU
- The Folly woodland hides many sculptures to seek out, such as the hare, mole, bat.
- Find the 'fairly unless bridge' (for fairies or trolls) & fairy house in a tree trunk.
- Picnic in the woodland, with logs and balances nearby for children to play on.
- Views over 5 counties from the 100ft tower.
- The Tower is open April - October, please check website for dates.
Folly Path off Stratford Road, Faringdon, Oxfordshire, SN7 7AQ
0207 558 8706
- Walking tours in Oxford for all ages.
- Combined bike and walking tours.
- Includes: 2 hour free walking tour, Oxford University and City tour.
- Private Family Tours: tailored specifically for ages and interests.
- Harry Potter Tour of Oxford: inside Hogwarts Hospital & down the halls of Hogwarts.
5 Broad Street, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1 3AJ
- Outdoor play group sessions using real tools, fire and building dens.
- For children walking - 4 years old.
- Themes include stick man, bears in the woods, and fairies.
- Fridays (term time) mornings (9:30am–11:30am) and afternoons (12:30pm–2:30pm).
- Woodland parties, team building, and training available.
Newbottle Woods, Near King Sutton, OX17 3DB
Countryside Farm Centre open seven days a week perfect for all the family with animals, playground and indoor Sprout Playbarn. Throughout the summer months, there's a beach area (with outdoor games), PYO and Maize Maze.
- Fun for all the family. Animal Walkway includes pigs, alpacas, cattle, and ponies.
- Sprouts Indoor Playbarn with multi-level activities, slides, ball pits and education play.
- Children's play area: swings, slides, play diggers, little sit-on tractors, & carousal.
- Pick You Own: June to September. Over 30 different fruits and vegetables.
- Phoebe Wood is 10 acres of woodland and wetland walks and picnic areas.
- Children's ballet, tap and art classes. Birthday party packages coming soon.
Kingston Road, Frilford, Near Abingdon, Oxfordshire, OX13 5HB
- River trips for all the family. (children under 12 months are free).
- River sightseeing tours.
- Picnic cruises.
- Private boat hire - great for birthday and exam celebrations.
- Boats include Serafina II, Golden Slumbers, and Bacchanalia.
The Folly, 1 Folly Bridge, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1 4LB
- Self-guided Spy Mission themed Treasure Trail.
- Takes 2 and a half hours to complete and is approximately 2.8 miles.
- Solve the on existing buildings, permanent features and monuments.
- Trail can be sent in the post or is available to download.
- Suitable for all ages from 6+ years - adults.
Cnr Queen and Cornmarket Streets, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1 1ET
- Variety of River Cruises and boats for hire in Oxford.
- Boat Trips include 'Alice in Wonderland Cruise'.
- Punt and boat hire. Plus chauffeured punt service available.
- Public Cruises in 2016 run 7 days a week in season. (28 May to 11 September 2016).
- Private charter boat hire for parties and celebrations.
Folly Bridge, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1 4LA
- Indoor Soft Play Barn includes slide, climbing wall, monkey bars and fun games.
- Pizza Café.
- Outdoor play area, and Nature Trail.
- Children's party packages available.
- Wheelchairs available and guide dogs are welcome.
Witney Road, Ramsden, Oxfordshire, OX7 3AS