The benefits of time spent in the fresh air are clear: freedom, space to roam, a boost of vitamin D and a happy, tired child by the end of the day. There is a vast selection of places to choose from for an outdoor excursion, including the perennially popular wildlife parks and zoos, some of which allow your child to get up close and personal with the animals. If you are looking for something physically challenging, there are adrenaline-filled tree-top adventures on offer, or if you are in the mood for a picnic, explore the list of playgrounds and parks which includes some lesser-known hidden gems. In addition, look out for lidos, watersports, tree-top high ropes, mud painting, strawberry picking, ghost tours, imaginative birthday venues and beach play areas (always a winner in our house).
Filter By Type
Sign up to our mailing list
A lovely family day out where you can enjoy the historic farmyard, feed the animals, explore the manor house and grounds. Every Monday children of all ages can enjoy their Monday Morning Storytime.
- Visit and feed the farm animals, check for times. Mondays am: Children's Storytime.
- Soft play for children under 5 years, in the stables. Dress up in the Manor house.
- Den making, nature play in the nature areas and sheltered sand pit.
- Adventure Playground with timber fort includes slides, zip wire, and wobbly bridge.
- Open March to November, check website for dates.
Church Lane, Witney, Oxfordshire, OX28 3LA
- Designed around needs of children with varying disabilities but open to everyone.
- Farm with donkeys, goats, pigs, birds, alpacas, miniature ponies, and rabbits.
- Enchanted Walk with sensory garden, weather areas, water play, & musical chimes.
- Animal handling, sandpit, adventure playground & birthday party venue.
- Giant rabbit burrow with a play kitchen, and a model village 'Mouse Town'.
Southcombe, Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, OX7 5QH
- Animals include: cattle, chickens, ducks, goats, geese, pigs, sheep and turkeys.
- Adventure playground, treasure hunts on the giant bale climb, and trailer rides.
- Opportunities to handle and feed the animals.
- Workshops: Shepherd for the Day, Family or Farmers, and Farmer for a Day.
- Birthday party venue: 'Hands on' farm animal experiences and adventure play.
Fernham Road, Longcot, Faringdon, Oxfordshire, SN7 7PR
- Visit rescued donkeys and other animals, including horses, chickens, geese and ducks.
- Admission is free, although donations are appreciated.
- You can sponsor a donkey.
- Cafe open most weekends and school holidays.
- Open daily (except Christmas Day) 11–4pm.
Old Didcot Road, Brightwell-Cum-Sotwell, Wallingford, Oxfordshire, OX10 0SW
Countryside Farm Centre open seven days a week perfect for all the family with animals, playground and indoor Sprout Playbarn. Throughout the summer months, there's a beach area (with outdoor games), PYO and Maize Maze.
- Fun for all the family. Animal Walkway includes pigs, alpacas, cattle, and ponies.
- Sprouts Indoor Playbarn with multi-level activities, slides, ball pits and education play.
- Children's play area: swings, slides, play diggers, little sit-on tractors, & carousal.
- Pick You Own: June to September. Over 30 different fruits and vegetables.
- Phoebe Wood is 10 acres of woodland and wetland walks and picnic areas.
- Children's ballet, tap and art classes. Birthday party packages coming soon.
Kingston Road, Frilford, Near Abingdon, Oxfordshire, OX13 5HB
- Farm and farmshop, for all the family.
- Farm is open daily from 8am–6pm, and is free of charge.
- Animals include cows, sheep, lambs, chickens, goats and pigs.
- Between March and April there's opportunities to bottle feed the ewes.
- Pick Your Own fruit and vegetables available seasonally.
Milton Hill, Abingdon, Oxfordshire, OX13 6AG
- Sanctuary and farm for all the family.
- 'Cuddle Corner' where baby rabbits, chicks, ducklings and gerbils can be held.
- See and feed the animals.
- Animals include goats, horses, birds, and rabbits.
- Licensed pet shop for rabbits, guinea pigs, ducks and fowl.
Wigginton Heath, Near Banbury, Oxfordshire, OX15 4LQ